Novel Inspiration Using Secret Pinterest Boards

Pinterest has replaced my ubiquitous image boards. Besides using it to pin recipes, gardening tips, books, movies, and places I’d like to visit, I’ve discovered that it is fantastic place for pinning inspiration for a manuscript.
pinterest_badge_red

Yes, pick someone who resembles your main character and pin her to the board. Choose the other characters accordingly as well as the setting in all of its variables – after dark, in the fog and rain, etc.

Do they drive a vintage Aston Martin? Pin one to the board.

courtesy of Pinterest

courtesy of Pinterest

Drink martinis? Own an oyster bar?

courtesy of Pinterest

courtesy of Pinterest

Work out like a fiend? Find an image and upload or repin.

It’s such a fascinating way to see the manuscript taking shape visually. And if you are concerned about changes you might make or wanting to keep it quiet, just use the Secret Board.

That’s right, there is an option for pinning secret boards. Maybe you want to throw a surprise party for your spouse and some of your friends want to help with ideas. Invite them to post to the secret board. Only those you’ve included may see and share what’s there.

I think this is just genius. I bet you will too, especially if you are someone who clips articles for future reference or inspiration.

Are you using Pinterest? Have you used the Secret Board option?

About reneejohnsonwrites

I have recently returned from a writing workshop in France, a writer's residency at Noepe Center for Literary Arts on Martha's Vineyard, and a retreat in Italy. Join me in 'writing the world.' -- Renee Canter Johnson, author of "Acquisition" published by The Wild Rose Press.
This entry was posted in blogging, Uncategorized, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Novel Inspiration Using Secret Pinterest Boards

1. jmgoyder says:

I’ve never used it – am curious now.

2. Pinterest has turned out to be one of my best tools. I use the secret boards for all kinds of things and have found it a great way to organize things. I actually have a board called, “Remember Where You Put It” for all those things I am constantly filing somewhere and then not able to find later. I haven’t shared a secret board yet but your ideas are great.

3. This is a great way to organize visually – and quickly – so you can come back utilize as you write. Good way to get more specific details when needed. Nice

4. Sheila says:

Hmmm…what a great idea! I haven’t used Pinterest for this type of purpose…mostly for recipes or quotes I like, decorating ideas. But I like your suggestions! I’m not a novel writer, but I can certainly see other applications for this type of pinning. I haven’t used secret boards yet…just haven’t seen the need…now I’ll have to give that some thought! Definitely love the visual component! ~ Sheila

• The recipes organization is a priceless tool for sure. If you are working on one, and haven’t ironed out all of the kinks, the secret board is a wonderful way to keep up with the changes to the recipe before you actually publish it on your site. I didn’t expect to like Pinterest as much as I do. And with my son and his fiancé planning a spring wedding, it is invaluable.

5. gene3067 says:

Brilliant! What a great way to develop your characters.

6. What a superb platform to pin your characters, quirks, dialogue, etc…

Love! xx

7. Yes, I use Pinterest but I’ve yet to use the Secret Board option. Love your suggestion. What a novel idea!

8. TBM says:

Sounds like a great tool, but the addictive part might be cause for concern for me.

9. This was mentioned at a writer’s conference recently and I thought about trying it out. I don’t have a Pinterest account, so I’ll have to start from scratch!

10. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

Wow. I’ve always looked at pinterest as just another online forum for photos etc, & wondered how it was any different, but hmmm, you’ve got me interested now – especially after reading the comments.

Love your header, Renee :)

11. Renee, I sometimes think I am missing some gene/link/call it what you like: I don’t get it. There are now so many ways of plastering ourselves all over the place in public alien to me. Why on earth would I want to have a pinboard for all the world to see? It’s crazy. The only reason I even ask the question because I like you very much, think you a great person and an ideal friend and therefore value your opinion, reflect on what makes YOU tick and, maybe, should reconsider my own take on what modern technology has to offer. Yet, the question remains: Why does most of it have no appeal for me?

U

12. munchow says:

It’s such an interesting idea. I might just have to try it out. And not only for story writing. I see a lot of possible uses, now that you have caught my attention with this idea. Thank you, Renee!

13. Arindam says:

Excellent idea Renee. I think, writing is all about deciding the characters, visualizing the plots and thinking the conflicts that moves the story forward. And I feel your idea would be helpful in that regard. Thanks for sharing!!

14. What a great idea! Movie makers use story boards, and this is available to us. Thanks for sharing.

15. bronxboy55 says:

Like Twitter and so many other online phenomena, Pinterest is still something of a mystery to me. But this does seem like a great idea.

16. You got my attention pinned and glued. Awesome! Have a great weekend.